Tuesday, March 19, 2013

21st Century Skills (for jobs that don't yet exist)


First of all, don't judge me.  I was looking for the NCAA basketball regional tournament on CBS when I came across this video.  No, I'm not a big fan of omg! from yahoo, but I will say that this video opened my eyes to an ever changing world.  First of all, what is a Social Media Response Lab?  If you can't answer that question, you have to watch this video.  Once there was only a technology gap between generations, but now we should call it a social media gap.  Parents are using the internet and social media, but are they using it the same way that their kids do?





This Social Media Response Lab opened my eyes and gave me a glimpse of what's to come.  It also made me think about jobs that haven't even been invented yet?  Our students will be Community Managers or part of a Visual team that creates Memes for a living.  (What a cool job!)  If these are new jobs that will be growing in the years to come, shouldn't we incorporate some of these skills into our classrooms?  How can we gameify our classroom to mimic the real world that these students are living in?  How do we shrink the social media gap from within the classroom?  Should we start to incorporate hashtags into our lessons, so parents can see what's trending? Maybe students can create memes as part of a lesson.  Whatever your beliefs about the future and education, I hope that this video opens your eyes to a world that is changing whether we want it to or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment